Friday, January 7, 2011

Run #20 - Tiger Balm WHERE??

Dear Late Night Driver,

I understand that you are probably baffled as to why some young girl is running alone at 9:30 at night. Really you don't need to worry. You see I am training for a half marathon. Whether I run before or after work it will always be dark. I look forward to Sunday when I get to have my long run through the park or by the river - sometimes both! But my mid-week night runs are just my routine.  Either way, I am not crazy, in danger or on the run from the police.

So while you are there in your warm, dark vehicle I only ask a few things of you. First, I am not going to run in front of you like a deer. I am aware of your looming presence. Perhaps you are just trying to be courteous and let me go first? Well thank you for that offer. But you see, you don't have a stop sign, I don't have a cross-walk. I'd like for you to exercise your right of way and leave me alone. When you creep up behind me and then just sit there and watch me run .... you are CREEPY! You cause me to say some bad words, turn the opposite direction to get away from you, and mess up my planned route. 

Or maybe you are the driver that wants to drive alongside me. Why do you do this? Again, I am not going to suddenly lurch out to the right and try to play Frogger in front of your car. I am just running on the side of the road ready to jump into a yard or find the closest hiding space. You see, when you drive at my pace, or even slower than I am running, you set off my internal alarm. I immediately find you suspicious. You don't know that I assume, in the dark (and sometimes in the day), that every unknown figure is a serial killer. Perhaps it is morbid, but it sure lets me remain aware of my surroundings.

So, dear late night driver, please just ignore me. Don't aim for me and try to buzz me. Don't slow and swerve into me, then yell and speed off. Don't drive 6 miles an hour and stay right in my blind spot.  When you do that you are rude and you freak me the F out!!

Thanks, 
~RR

Hi! How ya doing? Seems everybody is very busy with their 2011 goals and planning races for the year. Exciting, isn't it?? Heck, I'm already eyeballing the Half Marathon in Chicago in 2012! But for now all focus is on the Disney Princess Half Marathon that is next month. Next Month!! Crazy!!  Last night was my 20th run of training and I've now covered 61.5 miles. 

I was a little concerned how last night's 4 miles would go since I've had my upper left leg wrapped all week. But I was determined to just go at whatever pace needed to be sure I'd get in all four and not hurt myself. After spending 30 minutes looking for my arm sleeves that I wasn't even planning on wearing, I finally left my house at 9:30pm to zig and zag through a couple of neighborhoods. I actually felt great! I couldn't believe it! Lesley (at Racing it Off) and I have a goal of running the Princess Half in 2:20. This being my first, I'm putting her in charge of me. She gets to make sure I don't tear out of their at 8:48 pace like I do at every 5K. I have to remember this is a looooooong one. I can't just push it for 3.1 and be done with it! We calculated we need to average 10:40 to finish in the 2 hours and 20 minutes. So last night I heard her voice telling me, "10:40 10:40 10:40" over and over. Holy cow - imagine my glee when I finished all four miles without ever stopping to walk or stretch out my leg .... average pace? 10:35. Sure I only did about 1/3 of the half last night, but it is a start.  ..... I have decided to think of the half as three 4 mile runs. I know that only gets me to twelve, but that last mile is all Epcot and the topping on the cake, so I choose to ignore it in my math - it makes me feel better.

Once home I grabbed my Powerade, hooked up the Garmin to the computer, ripped off my clothes and rinsed off in the shower. Upon drying off I immediately grabbed my trusty Tiger Balm off the shelf. I was antsy to get into my bedroom to see what was happening on the Jersey Shore (seriously, Sammi is SUCH a childish little bitch!!). So I quickly slopped some balm on my upper thigh/hip area and realized I should have been more careful. Let's just say that had I put on some undies first this wouldn't have happened.  At this point let me just give some advice ..... no matter how much of a hurry you are in, be careful! Tiger Balm on your lady bits .... it is, um, interesting? Imagine that tingling, burning, cooling feeling - on your girly parts! I tried to get it all off before it started working, but I was too late. Yikes!! I won't be making that mistake ever again!!!


12 comments:

  1. Oh, you just make me laugh with every post. Tiger Balm...

    Nice job on the 4 miles at race pace. That's right missy, RACE PACE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts and your comments...they are the best! make me smile smile smile. I accidentally got a little icy hot down there once...not sure how but did not feel good. :) And loved your little/big letter to those late night drivers. Um, speaking of lady parts, my lady parts did not feel so good in spin class....they kind went a little numb...I found myself trying to stuff a towel down there for extra padding until I was getting weird looks from the instructor bu this is another post soon. Happy Friday to you! xox great run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was me in the car dude ... I was trying to get some shots for the blog, but the flash kept bouncing off the inside of the windshield ... no problem, catch you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! I've totally done that with Tigerbalm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness... tiger balm in all the wrong places... geesh...

    and stop running 10:40 girl... if that's your training pace, you'll kill me at the half... you'll be pulling me, not vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I will laugh and think about you when I get some Tiger Balm in the future!
    You are going to rock the 13.1!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts just CRACk me up. I have to read all the little details even though I have never seen one episode of Jersey Shore.

    Why the tiger balm? What's ailing you? Hope all is OK! Sounds like you are hitting a great pace for your training. That's good!

    I can't believe that your race is coming so soon.

    When I lived in town in college I hated that type of driver- not that I ran much back then, but it is SO creepy. BE safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Tiger balm on the goodies... eeek! Lesson learned, right?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny!! I have never used Tiger Balm, but was actually thinking about it for my knee... with caution!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, it sounds like your training is going good!! I'm so excited to run through these parks. The only one I've ever been to is Magic Kingdom!

    And yes I've done the same thing with not tiger balm but something like it. Now I am SUPER careful when I use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is freaking awesome!

    There is nothing like a little Tiger Balm on sensitive parts.

    Or crawling into bed and hearing - "what's that smell" and having to answer that it is me, and also no touchy.

    Great job on the run!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº