Monday, July 25, 2011

Lacamas Lake Pre-cap

Sadly this has nothing to do with Pre as in Prefontaine. Just a preview of my yet to be written recap. I haven't figured out the way to describe my least favorite race.

Hot.
Deceptive race website.
Great volunteers.
Plenty of aid stations.
Nice trail along the lake.
No mountain view.
One hill? Ha! Right.
Hot.
Advertised as scenic. I'd say 3 of the 13 miles were scenic.
Hot.

As I shared on facebook during the race, I felt like I was in the absolute lowest level of Hell. I tossed out any goal. I made a lovely flower bouquet in my handheld water bottle. I went down and splashed in the lake. I laid on a bench. I finished completely pissed off.

Had they not creatively adjusted the way the elevation on the website shows, and put on the ACTUAL elevation chart (as seen below from my Garmin), I would NOT have registered for this race. Hills plus a bad reaction to the sun (because of my Meniere's meds) made for a pretty miserable experience.


In other news, Biker Boy did AWESOME!! (And has two purple toenails to show for it.)

Don't even get me started on the "medal".



And because I would like to end on a positive note .... happily my next two races are in DISNEYLAND!!

14 comments:

  1. whoa, sounds like a miserable race- recap should be an interesting read

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, was it hot? dont get me started on race medals either....im craving one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, no!! I'm so sorry it was such a crappy race for you! I looked for you and thought for sure that you just decided to not run it because I couldn't find you. Yes. it was crazy Hilly!! Medal? What medal? Seriously, that was cheap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear :(. I hate sucky races. And hot. And hills. And I want to hear about the medal...

    ReplyDelete
  5. for as someone as positive as you...i'm a little scared to see what you have to say!

    we need a few bad ones though to enjoy the good ones and sounds like you've got that in store already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 25, 2011

    :-( Shitty races are not fun, especially when your Garmin makes it look like the elevation is giving you the finger.

    Smile :-) at least you finished, even with the worlds tiniest medal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that stinks...I had a gross half this year and let it get me down for a couple of days and then jumped back in. What is the medal story?

    ReplyDelete
  8. :( I think it is better to now just focus on DISNEYLAND!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry it was a crappy race. One thing I've learned when it comes to races, if it says anything about "lake" in the title, expect lots and lots of hills!! Still though, it's another half marathon that you've completed which makes how many this year?! Way more than the average person, that's for sure!! Aaaand, it will make the Disney races that much more enjoyable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...I told you the medal was tiny...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate that was such a crappy race. Shake it off, and now you can focus on DISNEYLAND!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everybody else said what I would've, so: how do you get that nifty chart from your Garmin?

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least you have two awesome races to make up for the crappy one you just experienced.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº