Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Storm Large in Concert

Mother/Daughter date!
You wouldn't know it is summer here in my part of Oregon if you were judging by the weather. The calendar, however, says it is. Summer in my town means free concerts every Tuesday night. My mom I used to go to every single concert and sit in our same place, munching on cheese & crackers, wine, Diet Pepsi, etc... Lately we've been skipping concerts, and when I say that I mean my mom hasn't gone in 2 years! Finally we decided to go back with our blanket, snacks and drinks to see Storm Large (a Portlander who happens to be friends with my cousin, so if i didn't go I'm sure my cousin would have let me have it!).

Normally we are sweating and hoping for the sun to go down fast or a shady spot. This time I was in a long sleeved shirt (yeah, yeah, of course it was a tech shirt from a race) and a jacket, while we bundled up together under a blanket. Oregon is always wacky, but this is getting even more bizarre every day! 

The concert started right at 7pm and with the first "Hello" I was already enjoying it! She was awesome! She was asked told to clean up her act for this performance. Seeing as it is a free concert and there are people of all ages, young and old, apparently it isn't okay to sing about vaginas. :(  The feminist in me would insist on telling you that it is just a body part and NOT a bad word. But whatever.


At times when things were a little slower and building up to something bigger she brought back memories of Fiona Apple concerts. This made me like her even more. Fiona Apple is my #1 favorite! I have seen her 4 times and would go see her 4 more times in a heartbeat. Since Fiona isn't exactly touring at the moment, Storm's was a great concert for me to be at!


She was great with the audience ... tame enough for the kids, with "metaphorical" (as she said) things for the adults. Naturally I kept hoping for it to be more adult, 'cause you know I am just such a rebel.....


I loved every single song. I think I went home with 4 or 5 videos on my camera, I'll share the two I uploaded to youtube at the end of this post. The following picture was from when she did a Rod Stewart cover. Rod Stewart, incidentally, was my first ever rock concert!


Her final song was great. That video will come in a second. Then for the encore song I was very curious what it would. Most of the audience was hoping and asking for Eight Miles Wide. She was very apologetic and said that she had to sign a contract saying she would NOT sing it. Bummer! (So my mom and I sang it to each other instead.)  She said that this last song was one that every time she did it the entire audience knew every single world. What would it be?? I was filled with anticipation, and squealed at the very first note. I knew what it was. I knew every single world. It is probably my favorite song to karaoke as a duet with my mom.  Total Eclipse of the Heart. LOVED IT!!  Overall, a Great concert! I loaded up my iTunes with some of her songs, and will soon get more!

Next week .... my review of Pink Martini (yet another Portland group)!

Now some videos. Here's the short one. Her first "final" song. She said we ALL had to sing along. It would be un-American to do so. Of course we wouldn't know what song it was until the music started again. My poor mom -- I actually knew all the words and she stood there, lost, trying to figure out who originally sang it (and did NOT know the words)!


Now I'll leave you with a longer video, and perhaps my favorite song of the night! (Just give it a listen!!)

8 comments:

  1. She looks a little like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun concert. I'm with you on the summer... sure doesn't feel like it. I would much rather be complaining about the heat than the cold and rain... I get to do that all winter. Come on Oregon summer, get here!!

    Also, it is kind of sad that your mom didn't know that song. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concerts every Tuesday is fabulous! Hope you enjoyed spending the time with your mom.

    I love Fiona Apple also........ Not had the opportunity to see her in concert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spent a fair bit of this afternoon watching Storm Large vids on YouTube. I'd never heard of her...I'm sort of astounded she's not super famous after listening to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun concert! I hate that she couldn't sing 8 Miles Wide.. that sucks. I'll have to do my own rendition of it right now in my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously!! When is summer going to get here?!? Looks like a fun concert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT writeup and wonderful pictures and video clips! Thank you so much for sharing them.

    Storm is cool because she's independent. Storm is not better known... because she's independent. She won't sign to anything that compromises her idea of art and spending her time doing something meaningful - a deal with the devil for dollars does not motivate her. Beauty, equality, inspiring the downtrodden, helping people see the incredible strength they have within, waking up instead of using chemicals to go to sleep... these are the things that motivate Storm. Big business usually doesn't get that. It's folks putting out the word of mouth that she's a rough diamond and worth seeing, and her efforts turning over every stone and giving her time to charities so much of the time, that make her career possible. Love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº