Monday, July 4, 2011

Run #5.2 - What a View!

Still feeling great after the Seattle Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon, I was ready to get started on training for my fifth half marathon coming up in July. I recently learned about a new, extended path heading along the river to the next town south of mine. Since Biker Boy was in town for the extended weekend I suggested we check it out together, and naturally he was game!

I taped myself up, lathered in some Mission Skincare sunblock, filled my water bottle and we got in the car. Huh? Yep, I diverted from my normal plan of just leaving from my house, and instead drove down to the high school where this section of the path begins. We left for the run in the morning, but it was already warm out. Darn.

The plan was to run 4 miles down, 4 miles back. Wouldn't you know it, BB, who hasn't run since he joined me for  a 4 mile run in early June, ran the whole freaking thing! Dammit!! I fully admit that I have a hard time in the heat and I'm still babying my left IT Band. However, with that said, this was the best I've ever run in the heat. I kept at it, I did walk up some of the longer hills, but I still pushed it when I ran and was going at a pretty good speed for myself in hot weather. 

Look at this fabulous view I had during the first four mile section!


I love Oregon!

At the turn around point I found a shady spot to stop and stretch a little bit. My shin was kind of feeling tight, as well as my tooshy. Plus it was freaking hot. When I looked out to enjoy the river view I had at that spot, I noticed two adorable things moving across the river. Horses! Two horses, on their own, just walking down to the river to get a drink of water. How precious!


The run back was actually faster than the way there I think. The hills were crazy, but this time they worked in our favor. All went well until the 10K mark The heat just got to me and I thought I was just going to collapse. I chose to walk at this time, thank goodness. BB was great and sacrificed his water and sprinkled it on my back to help cool me off. Fortunately by this time we were back at the fairgrounds and found a water hook-up spigot and refilled our bottles. I then noticed the gates were open, so I slipped in to use the bathroom and put cold water on myself. That really helped. 

The final 1.8 miles were a lot better, and I felt pretty strong by the time I finished. What a change from last year's summer runs!  In all I ran the 8 miles in 1 hour 34 minutes. Not bad at all I'd say!  I got in the car and was just baffled that it was only 64º. I mean I was certain it was about 95º. Turns out for some reason that day my car just wanted to stay at 64 ... it was really 80º or more. Phew - I thought I was just really losing my mind!

**I have now run more miles in 2011 than I did in all of 2010. Yippee!!**

13 comments:

  1. I ran most of it...the last half mile or so was a little rough and my quads are still a little sore today. Though it just reminds me that I need to start running again this week...as I think that we have 9 miles this coming weekend....you would think that with all of this "training" that I am doing (training in "" because I am not training for anything) I would sign up for a race or something....hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Oregon awesome? Loved your pictures.
    Yesterday on my bike ride I saw a strangely large amount of miniature horses, llamas and even 2 camels and an Ostrich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks beautiful! I wish I had more scenic running areas around me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 05, 2011

    Holy Wow!!! Looks gorgeous... bet you wish you had found that sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on kicking 2010's ass, mileage-wise.

    Running in the heat is so hard, man.

    What pretty views!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That landscape is AMAZING! Great job toughing it out in the heat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new mileage! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, gorgeous view!! Amazing!! I hate the heat too. Blech. And congrats on the 2011 mileage!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are gorgeous. I'll be honest with you, I'm a little jealous of the view. Great job on the run with BB. The heat is tough and it can get to you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, that is a huge accomplishment, already surpassing your 2010 miles!! congrats

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job on your mileage, lady! Those pictures are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJuly 08, 2011

    WOW! What a beautiful landscape! Great job on surpassing 2010 running miles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What an amazing place to be able to run through!

    Jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº