Monday, September 13, 2010

225+ Miles and 1 Year Later ... I AM A Runner!

A year ago it was just an idea. Another one of Ronda's crazy whims. Nobody expected it to last long at all. But I was determined to prove the naysayers wrong! Why couldn't I be a runner? Lots of people do it. Sure I couldn't even run around the block, but maybe some day I would!

And thus, on September 13, 2009 a new runner was born!

It began with a pair of Nike shoes picked up at the outlet store, a cotton t-shirt (what???), and some Danskin spandex shorts that were a whopping $7 at Wal-Mart. My sports bra was one I bought back in college and had a couple holes worn into the back of it. I uploaded a C25K podcast to my U2 iPod, shoved the iPod in my bra, and went out every other night just to prove to myself that I can do it!  Only a week or so into it I signed up for my first two 5K races - one of which was all the way in Florida! If I had to pay to fly and stay in Disney World, I couldn't possibly slack on the training. It was a great motivator!

It has been the best year! I've felt better overall about every aspect of  my life. It has had highs and lows. Pretty moments - and not so pretty moments. I've met new friends at races, plus discovered all of you cool bloggers out there!

Since I love me a bullet list so much, let's just break it down. All of it. The good, the bad and the ugly!

Let's do the bad and ugly points first - get the icky stuff out of the way!

  • October 2009 - went on vacation to Orlando. Didn't run that week, but sure walked a lot. I was excited to get home and pick up where I left off since I was over half-way through the C25K program. What I didn't plan for was getting the Swine Flu - most likely picked up on the flight home to Oregon. I was out of commission for weeks and went into the first 5K without finishing the program.
  • March 2010 - My internal temper tantrum. Stupidly I felt embarrassed at the Fit For A Princess expo because I didn't have a backpack like the 1/2 marathon runners. I ended up buying an awesome ESPN backpack so I wouldn't have to be seen carrying around my pathetic clear plastic goody bag was that was lacking in goodies.  
  • May 2010 - after an awesome race I felt on top of the world. Went home and decided to run over 4 miles the next day. Welcome to hip bursitis. For the entire month I could only run maybe a couple miles each week. I had to lift my left leg just to put my foot into my shoe. So much for training for my 1st 10K at the end of the month!
  • July 3, 2010 - CRACK went my toes! I tripped walking up a step on a deck causing my toes to immediately start bleeding and changing colors. This was about 12 hours before 10K number 2.
  • August 7, 2010 - under-hydrated, humidity, going too fast, the smell of a seafood restaurant and Thai restaurant merging together ... my first time vomiting at the finish line. (Okay, really - this is a proud moment!)
The Good!
  • I finished that first 5K race, and really impressed myself with how well I did considering it was 27ยบ out, I was terrified and I was just recovering from H1N1!
  • I achieved my goal of running the entire Royal Family 5K without stopping to walk at all. Best feeling ever!!
  • I used the disappointment in my 5K Disney goody-bag and turned it around, deciding right then and there that in 2011 I would be one of those 1/2 marathon Princesses!
  • I had, for me, an awesome PR and actually passed by people while running up a hill. I still haven't beaten that time!
  • My friend and I ran in the Great Urban Race ... and the crazy route we ended up doing looked like a wiener!
  • With everything going wrong for 10K #2 I did the best I could, beating my prior time by 3 minutes - and not bleeding through my socks all that much! And the course? The beginning 2 miles were CRAZY!! (see Garmin results below!)
  •  
  • I never gave up! Now, a year later, I am completely addicted. I know I am not the fastest, but I have faith that eventually I'll be a little quicker. I'm not out to break records, just my own!
The Stats:
  • Completed five 5K races (4 road, 1 trail)
  • Completed two 10K races (1 road, 1 trail), with #3 coming up this weekend
  • Raced in 3 different states (Oregon, Florida, Washington)
  • Finished the Great Urban Race for a total of 6.78 miles
  • Grand total of 8 races in year one!
  • 2 pairs of running shoes, 8 running skirts, tons of cute shirts. Bye bye cotton!!
  • 1 new iPod Nano, Nike+ sensor, Garmin Forerunner 305
  • 2 new sports bras .... I REALLY need to make this number higher!!
  • 225 miles since getting the Nike+ sensor in January 2010! I am still in awe of this number!!
After my first race - 35 minutes!

17 comments:

  1. Awesome for you! Happy 1 year of running!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 1st anniversary of running!! Despite your road blocks you made it. Good luck at your race this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome stats! Happy running anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic post- thanks for sharing this retrospective! I have worked my way up to running 25 minutes (through intervals) and am constantly inspired by those of you who complete 5k, 10ks and more. Your posts are so motivating - proof that it CAN be done. I can't wait to post about my own success when I reach my one-year runniversary. :)
    Rae
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL you shove your ipod in your bra too?! J can't stand it--he says it's "nasty". HAHA!
    Congrats on all of your accomplishments!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HMB - I don't use my bra anymore - my running skirts all have little pockets, so I stick it in there! Much easier than my bra, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU have one helluva good year (well, except for the finish line vomit) little lady! Congrats on all of your achievements, I'm sure we'll see many more out of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the stats! How many races will you do this next year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Ronda! All the best for another great year of running :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite a year - I'm impressed you remember all those details.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy running anniversary! :D loved your stats! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you like to run... don't forget about CitySolve Urban Race (http://CitySolveUrbanRace.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! Happy runniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. an amazing year, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY RUNNIVERSARY!!! You just have to be so proud of those accomplishments in the last year. WAY TO RUN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that picture!! An amazing year, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you've really hit he running hard. I am so impressed and proud of you. It looks like you had a great time!
    I am really hoping one day soon I'll be done having/trying to have a kid so I can just get back to focusing on one thing at a time (ie: me). Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ยบoยบ