Friday, May 6, 2011

Peace, Love and Racing

Last year I was browsing the internet for races to run. I saw one called the Hippie Chick and thought it sounded too cute. Yeah .... sold out! Kim told me that last year it sold out in a few hours and if I wanted to get in this year I had to set an alarm and do it EARLY!! So, while on vacation in Florida, I set my alarm for 3am and registered.

Finally, it is here!

Seeing as I did the Eugene Half last weekend, and given the fact that when I registered I had yet to ever run more than 6.2 miles, I decided to opt for the Quarter Marathon versus the Half. Besides, how often does one get a chance to do a Quarter marathon?  I am really excited. I haven't set any time goals ...yet. I might, but mostly I am just doing this for fun! I've loaded up on accessories to complete my hippie chick outfit and have decided to run nude. Okay, no. Not nude. And not even without my Garmin or iPod. But I AM going to run without my water or iFitness belt. I just want to enjoy 6.5 miles of freedom!

* * * * * *

I'm loving having 2 races back to back. But now I find myself needing more. Yesterday I registered for the Prefontaine Memorial 10K, but sadly have to wait until September for that. Last Sunday I registered for the Portland Rock'n'Roll Half, but sadly have to wait until May 2012 for it. 

I have no races on the schedule that are registered and paid for until July 24th, the Lacamas Lake Half Marathon. This just won't do. I'm 99.99% sure I'll do the Butte to Butte 10K on July 4th. But that still leaves all of June bare. 

Fine, I'll say it. I just want to run one more half marathon between now and July. The only once I've seen looks like hell. Sure, the title says "Roses" in it, but I am NOT trained for constant hills yet, and I just think I wouldn't enjoy the race as much as one should. I'm eye balling a 5K in June .... I can't get my sub-30 if I don't at least register and run, right?

I think August is empty, too. This just won't do.

September will be rad. I've lined up the Disneyland 5K (where Rose and I will steal Mickey's thunder for sure!!), the Disneyland Half Marathon (where I'll get my Coast to Coast medal), the Warrior Dash (where Biker Boy will finally be involved as a participant and not a spectator!) and then the Prefontaine Memorial (where I WILL beat my time from last year!). 


So.... June ... help me out. Any ideas? And not Father's Day weekend - I'll be eating pizza and getting drunk on the golf course.

25 comments:

  1. Crap, that "Roses" course is hilly. What was I thinking signing up for it? I know I didn't seen an elevation before I signed up. Whatever!

    Looking forward to seeing your super secret outfit on Sunday! I'm afraid it may need to be waterproof...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you look into the RNR Seattle? That's June 25.
    I do hear you on the race drought for the summer, though. I'm fully trained and ready to go but there is nothing. . . but then again do you really want to run in the heat and humidity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?! Hills???? OK, so I will give you that there are a COUPLE of spots that you will have to climb, and they aren't THAT bad. ****Full disclosure--I run them all the time so they don't seem that bad to me*** All of the hills are less than a 200' elevation climb and all of them have some relief in the form of the downhill on the other side. The ONLY one that I think will give anyone (even me see disclosure above) any grief will be the short steep climb up Timbrel at the start of Loop two down Brookman. PLUS, I am going to have my girls make up at least one banner, maybe two if I can figure out a way to get them standing... along Sunset, and then I will make them on penalty of no dinner for any of them come down to the stadium and cheer us all on at the end.

    AND as a bonus, you might get to meet me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do you do this too me, NattyBumpo??? ERG!!!!

    Okay. I'm considering it. This would NOT be a PR attempt at all because I know I'd be walking on those hills.

    I think you need to go drive the course and take pictures of these hills and share them so I can decide!



    And in the mean time I'm going to continue to fantasize about Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll do you one better...I ran that road the opposite direction and took pictures a while ago....http://running-potato.blogspot.com/2010/10/saturday-in-rain-w-picts.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, you mention goats and llamas. Would we see them during the race?

    This is tough. I'm REALLY looking at Seattle for reals now. That would give me the bonus RnR medal this year for running two in one calendar year.


    But the other has livestock. And is more local. Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't like hills and you are looking at Seattle. That is a contradiction in realities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sssshhhh!!!! Let's just not say the H word for a while. We need a new name for Hill that sounds cuter and less scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay that one just made me life!

    I picture big, old lady underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK. Would Pre turn away from hills?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh..... good one. That smarts!

    Perhaps, like my REM boyfriend, I should learn to embrace hills. Besides, the Prefontaine Memorial is just constant hills and I want to improve my time on that course from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There you go! Embrace the climb! They are good for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should drive up for Seattle RnR. C'mon! Everybody's doing it!!!!!

    Really. Everyone. You should see the list for the bloggy carbo load dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousMay 06, 2011

    What about the Starlight run 5k on June 4th? It's in PDX, and along the Parade route. It's supposed to have AMAZING spectator support throughout the whole course.
    What about pacific crest? Beautiful, but it doesn't give you the extra bling like an RnR would...Tough choices! http://www.racecenter.com/race-details/?race=719

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would NOT do a hilly race. Yuck!! I have a 5K in June, a 10K in July, and August is naked! I think a 5K would be fun, you'll get to test your speed!!

    Can't WAIT for Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm running a quarter marathon in July in Minneapolis. A friend of mine is the race director for that race. The Hippie Chick sounds like fun, no matter what distance you're running. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Status Update: A time off request has been submitted. Biker Boy will find out Monday if he can get the Friday off ... and if all goes as hoped ....

    by Monday or Tuesday I'll be registering for the Seattle Rock'n'Roll half.

    That darn bling. Gets me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd suggest the Vancouver USA half marathon but it is on Father's Day. Not that I'm likely to be running anything by then :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was ready for Vancouver actually, then I saw it was the weekend that I'm booked every year. I just can't pass up free pizza and booze, er, uh, I mean water(??). I look forward to this one weekend all year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You mean you haven't signed up for Timberline yet?? Shame on you! LOL

    June 4th, baby!! Get er' done!

    http://www.roguemultisport.com/featureevents/timberlinemarathon.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a fun race. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yea, I'm scared of Seattle, too, but we will be better women for it.
    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You not racing just doesn't seem right. Hope you are able to register for Seattle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº