Friday, May 20, 2011

Run #4.4 - Wisely and Slow They Stumble That Run Fast

Today was a good day, yet challenging.  Challenging because I only let myself run ONE mile. One. (Go back and re-read that "one" like old Rose in Titanic. Ah, love that movie!) Good because I had no pain in that one mile!

I really have nothing to say about the run itself. I mean it was just one mile. 10 minutes of running, not allowing myself to go fast.

I find it funny that May is National Runner's Month, according to Dick's Sporting Goods, yet during my entire "career" as a runner (all one year and a half of it) I have been injured to the point of not being able to really run twice. Both times have been in May. Last year it was hip bursitis, this year it seems to be my IT band.

I had to mentally be strong today and not let the numbers get to me. I hate uploading my run to Daily Mile and seeing ONE mile. I am capable of so much more. Then I looked back at the last couple of months and realize that this is the first break I have given myself since Thanksgiving. It has been go-go-go, race-race-race. While that is easy for some people, for me it is not. With a half and quarter marathon already under my running skirt this month alone, I suppose it isn't terrible that I have to ease up a bit and just let my leg recover.

So as much as I hate seeing my stats so low right now, I know that easing up and healing will allow me to increase those numbers once I'm okay - versus continually hurting my leg and then REALLY being on the injured list.

Ugh, I hate being such a grown up some times!*

*With that said, I haven't ruled out my scheduled 8 for this weekend. We'll see. Baby steps - giant leaps. I seem to have no in-between?

**And with that I have a goal for Seattle RnR... finish! In ONE piece. And run through the finish line. The rest, I'll just keep moving fast or slow - and I'm running with my camera this time, so who knows what you'll get to see!
____________________
You have through this weekend to click this link and enter my "on the down low" giveaway!

9 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 20, 2011

    I usually get injured during the fall season. I don't know which is worse -Sept, Oct, Dec. ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SUCK at running in warm weather, so of course I have to feel injured now - which means when I feel back to 100% I will be bitching about the heat and not feeling like I can run.

    Whine, whine, whine.... I am soooo good at it!

    I must be in race withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, being an adult blows. But it'll be worth it when you are back and healthy and kickin' butt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest up!
    Of course, my IT band is causing me grief too. I wonder which knee is giving you trouble? My right knee is the culprit.

    I hate logging in to Daily Mile and see one pathetic mile for the week... or to enter data for 1 mile. I mean ... it is just 1 mile. What's there to celebrate and brag about? I longed for the days when I enter "10 miles and feeling super fabulous!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job taking it easy... a mile is still a mile. :) If you do the 8, hope it goes well. If not, don't be hard on yourself, make sure you listen to your body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rest up and I hope you're back to your normal soon!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been injured during spring and fall, which I believe are the best times to run in Minnesota (as long as there isn't snow on the ground). The weather is at the perfect temperature, and I love running among the trees during fall colors. :)

    Rest is so important. It will be hard to not run too much, but in the long run, taking it easy now will pay off later. You've got a full race calendar later in the year, so focus on being 100% for that.

    My fiance has never watched Titanic. One of these days, I'm going to make him watch it, mwoohahaha!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving the quote from Romeo and Juliet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº