Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Seattle: Mariners & Public Transit

After a day of travel, expo, shopping and food it was time for the night! What a wild night it was. Drinking, dancing, strip clubs, body shots .... well, I bet that was happening somewhere in Seattle. My night was a bit more calm, but there was drinking, eating and cheering.

It was relatively easy to find our hotel - and look at the view we had! We quickly checked in and hauled my luggage up to the room. Who knew one girl could have so much stuff for just one night in a hotel? I don't think I even let myself sit down to relax. I was immediately looking at my running gear one last time to be sure it was there, pulling out my bib, setting my shoes out. I finished after we were home for the night, and here's my stash for the most part!


We changed clothes, grabbed tickets and started on our journey back to Safeco Field for the Mariners/Marlins game. I didn't want to walk the entire way since it was all hills and I wanted to save something for the race in the morning. Eventually we worked our way down to where saw some of the free buses. Not having a clue what we were doing we just hopped on the first one we could. I'll admit I was really nervous when it started making lane changes and changing streets. We were pretty sure we were going to end up in the completely wrong area!

But we made it! I had my ticket out and was ready for my first "real" baseball game. If you'll recall, I went to the Braves/Mets Spring Training game after the Princess Half and all I wanted was a foam finger. Well what did I find here?

I didn't get it though. I didn't want to pay $7 for foam and then have to carry it all around. I did get a pin, program and jersey-type shirt to wear for the game while Biker Boy bought a hat. Our seats were great! We went cheap and got 300 level tickets, but we were row 3 behind home plate, so our view was fabulous! Neither of us know much about baseball, so I would occasionally as the man behind me what was going on when it seemed out of the ordinary. He didn't seem to mind, in fact I think he liked being the "expert" in our section. I sat by a little ol' grandma and she was very sweet. She reminded me of my grandma, so I was happy to spend my game with her. Since I don't really know or care about baseball, I have nothing to report. The Mariners won. There were some really exciting plays and I found myself cheering and yelling for people to run faster!

For dinner I grabbed a cheese pizza and Pepsi in a souvenir cup. So what if it was $6 for my drink, I needed the freaking cup! Biker Boy had a beer that cost nearly and arm and a leg. That phrase is so strange. I'm leaving it in. The 7th Inning Stretch was my goal. As long as I made it that long I didn't care when we left. When it was time we both stood up and sang along - so much fun!



It had been pouring (thankfully they closed the roof once it started sprinkling) but once it stopped I decided we better begin our trek back to the hotel. I think we were there through the top of the 8th inning for those of you keeping track.

A pedi-cab dude was great and helped us figure out the best way to get to our hotel with minimal walking. We took him up on the offer and he gave us a ride to the elevator - you know, all 100 yards or so! I liked him, fun guy!

From there we followed some people over to the light rail. Not really knowing what the hell we were doing I bought us each a ticket and we got on. I felt more comfortable with this form of transit. It seemed cleaner and safer. What I didn't realize was that we went underground! It ended up looking like a subway! I have no idea if it counts as one because then we ended up on street level, too. When we got out we were underground and it looked like subway scenes that I've seen on movies and TV shows. Emily - as my Seattle resident, can you help me figure out what the heck that was???


Back to our room around 10pm, I laid out everything for the morning. I was very prepared for the morning and my 3:30am alarm. I slept a bit, and relatively okay. You know how pre-race night goes - you try, but how often do you ever REALLY sleep?

6 comments:

  1. At least you sat by cool people at the Mariners game. Whenever I attend a Twins game, I'm usually sitting by rude or drunk people. Not so much fun!

    I can't stand how much food and beverages cost at baseball games. I usually try to eat before a game.

    I usually don't get much sleep the night before a race. The longer the race is, the less sleep I get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baseball is super boring. Well. Any sporting event to me is super boring. I'm usually only in it for the food. Feed me continuously throughout it and I'm a happy girl.

    And I love that you were yelling run faster. That cracked me up!

    Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marines! Your blog title says Marines, where are they?

    Okay, Mariners are close enough. I just thought you ran into some Marines somewhere.

    You and Biker Boy are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Thanks for pointing out my boo-boo. Usually Biker Boy reads these ASAP and points out all my mistakes so I can fix them really fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mariners games!! The stadium is beautiful and I love the view! Except yeah, it is definitely spendy.

    It must be the underground bus tunnel that you were in. That's the only thing I can think of. So not quite a subway but close enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Fiance and I are going to an Astros game soon and I must have the hat you are wearing!!!

    Where did you get it????

    Glad you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº