Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 1 Was a Success.....

.... except for those McDonald's fries I had for dinner. Dang it!

Okay - back up. So yesterday was Day 1 of the 100 Day Challenge. I am actually happy with how it went - regardless of the fries. I never said I was going cold turkey, did I? Nope!

After work I found myself in one of my worst Meniere's moments ever. I couldn't check my blind spot while driving without making the dizziness worse. I tried to grocery shop and seriously felt like I was shaking almost as bad as Kathryn Hepburn. It was bizarre. I was starting to feel disappointed and defeated. Here I was, so perky hours before, and ready to run, and now I was sitting in a bench at a store because I couldn't walk!

I forgave myself for the fries. I was so dang hungry that I didn't feel like cooking. So $4.50 later I had 2 McDonald's grilled cheese (yes, they will make 'em!) sandwiches, fries and a Coke. Oh boy was it good! My recliner and I bonded with dinner and a couple episodes of Dexter. .... That show just keeps getting better and better!

Finally, at 9 o'clock it was dark outside, the weather was cooling off and I was putting on my running attire. I didn't care how dizzy I was, I wanted to run. I can't just give up and not try, right? So I set out - and it was GREAT! A couple moments of feeling unsteady, but I just told myself to suck it up and run. And run is what I did! I chose to leave my headphones at home so I could be a little more aware of my surroundings since it was completely dark outside. I still listened to music from my pocket - how awesome is it that the iPod Nano will play without headphones?? I also chose to bring my phone in my Spi belt. Normally I don't do this, but considering how I felt earlier I figured it wouldn't hurt to be prepared just in case I did fall or something. 

Not having headphones in let me hear every noise around me.  When you have an active imagination like I do, and are obsessed with serial killers (obsessed? Is that the word we want here? Hm...), any noise prompted me to be sure that Buffalo Bill was once again on the prowl and following my every move. You'd think this would scare me. But no, it just amuses me and helps me keep going. So I documented the night (2.11 miles) with a photo as proof that I was out and running. And then I edited it to give it a little Buffalo Bill night vision flair!


4 comments:

  1. Way to get your run in! Love your night vision photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the photo - cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! i love Dexter. i'm on season three, so no spoilers please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry - I am spoiler free! I know it is just too good of a show to have anything ruined!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº