Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Progress Report #14 - Hallelujah for Cooler Weather!

I finally feel like a runner again. July? July? Where did you go?? Were you here 'cause I certainly don't remember our runs together after that mighty 10K we had.

Last night was a test run in Saturday's 5K racing outfit. I've decided on the new white running skirt and my new-ish bright orange OSU top. I figure this way I'll be so bright that my cheerleader, Jessica, won't have a hard time spotting me in the crowd and cheering me on!  The run itself went really well! I felt like I was running faster than my Garmin told me. That would make sense though - considering the whole not-running-much-in-July's-insane-heat-wave thing.  I even decided to just power through and run up the hills I used to walk up during my C25K days. That felt Great!!  In the end I just ran 2 miles at the fastest pace I could maintain, then walked home the last .8 miles. I have absolutely no doubt I could have run the whole thing, but at this point I was dripping in sweat and thought it might be wise to save something for Saturday. I'm actually feeling pretty confident in Saturday's race. After doing 2 crazy 10Ks in a row, this flat 5K seems like a breeze. While I might not PR, I still feel the quality of my running will be the best I've had since the heat wave. Hopefully it isn't too pathetically slow. I don't want to have a bad race leading into my training for the Prefontaine. 

And last night I went out and bought myself a cooler to throw in my trunk for race days - and road trips. Now I'll be prepared for this afternoon run with cold water on hand. I am terrible and getting hydrated, and this seems to be one I shouldn't slack on. A 5pm summer race - of course I'd sign up for something like that. I can't just pick anything normal!

Oh, one more AND. AND, I'm stopping on the way up to Washington to find my next new pair of running shoes. Yay!! I have NO idea what I'm looking for ... any advice you runners have will be welcomed!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº