Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Let There Be Lips


I wouldn't feel right if I didn't do a mini-review of last night's Rocky Horror episode of Glee.  It has positives. It had a huge, glaring negative. First a mini-RHPS and Me history!

At the start of my 7th grade year my mom rented Rocky Horror Picture Show for the two of us to watch together. I instantly was in love. We had to have the soundtrack. I had to have the official collector's book. I had to have posters. Life was pretty much All RHPS All the Time. I would introduce my friends to it one at a time. Before high school was over we almost had our own cult like following. Even one of my boyfriends got in on it and shared it with his friends. Yeah - we were so cool. We were better than glee kids --- we were the band geeks!  At our Grad Night party in 1996, my friends and I took 3rd place (we were totally ripped off!!!) in the lip sync contest. We won $125 - I was Columbia, 'cause she's the coolest.

I had an awesome run in my fishnets - and a sparkly top hat!
So with all that being said, I was very excited about this episode of Glee!

I had chills at the very beginning when it opened with the iconic red lips. And I continued to be thrilled when the show immediately went straight into Rocky Horror music. The costumes were fabulous for the characters, too!

One of the highlights - the cameos of Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf. And I loved that their character names were Barry and Tim. Sigh - if only Tim Curry had been in this episode. That would have been epic!

All in all I really enjoyed this episode. I even proclaimed that I liked it better than the Power of Madonna episode. However, they might be tied now. And that is because of one huge disappointment.

Tim Curry is one of a kind. I would love to meet him in real life. He is creepy, he is sassy, he is funny, he is charming. He seems to be one of those actors that can do anything in a unique way. Frank-n-Furter is the ultimate Tim Curry role.  His portrayal was perfection. 

And then there is Mercedes. Ugh. Glee producers ... WHY??? It was horrendous. First of all, Frank is a dude. He is also a sweet transvestite from TRANSSEXUAL Transylvania. NOT "sensational" Transylvania.  When did "transsexual" become an obscene word?? Is it just the gay rights activist in me that finds this particularly annoying?? I mean my blog title says it all - I'm a major fruit fly. I love the gays! They love me! Why on earth did they censor that song?? Transvestite is okay but transsexual isn't. Um, huh??  Okay, lyric changes aside - Mercedes is my least favorite character. I just don't like her attitude. And I hate her singing. Frank does NOT yell that song. She freaking yelled it at me. I absolutely hated it. Sweet Transvestite is one of my favorite songs on the soundtrack and she just ruined everything I love about it. Bad, bad, bad.

And then there is Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me .... (really I LOVED this episode, I swear!) .... the lyrics changes. I suspected they would change things with this song given the nature of it. But is "if anything shows" really any better than "if anything grows" ?? Some of the changes just seemed pointless or even stupid. 

But hello to the eye candy! How many shirtless guys can they cram into one episode?? More of that please!  And more Santana. I lover her and I love her voice.  And Kurt was Perfect as Riff Raff. Why Quinn had to sing Magenta's part of the Time Warp in such a weird way, I'll never know. 

Some things are just classics. Tweaking too much isn't always a good thing. I guess the parts I really enjoyed were the parts that stayed truest to the movie!

I swear I loved it. I just had to vent!
So let us end with a look at the REAL Frank!


8 comments:

  1. The Frank at Glee last night was weird. Really shouldn't be played by a girl. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch Glee, but Rocky Horror is one of my all time favorites. And you are right, Tim Curry is AMAZING in it. Love it, love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm old, remember you had to tell me what the Goonies was or something like that ... forgot already.

    RHPS ... that's another story - know what that is but never found it interesting.

    Man, ain't I just a bummer!!!

    BTW I was expecting you to figure out some way of getting the survey to say PPPP. I thought you could get that to occur!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL girl you have NO SHAME in your pics and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Late congrats on your 5 km. PR (I like your "running clothes"), great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know how old I am? I saw the movie opening night. 1975. I was a senior in High School. Still one of my fav movies. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my favorite quote of the episode was "now give me some candy or i'll cut you"
    haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does this mean you've never been to see the RHPS in a theatre??? If so, forget Darcelle, we need to do this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº