Friday, October 8, 2010

Wish Me Luck!

At the Eugene 5K earlier this year I talked to a stranger. I didn't know the area and was trying to find the start/finish/registration area. I turned around and asked the first person I saw. He and I ended up walking to the start together, but quickly parted ways once I went to get my bib.  After the race (incidentally this is the race with the PR I am itching to break in two weeks!), I was wandering alone people watching, nibbling on a banana, and picking at a bagel.  Up came the stranger I had talked to earlier!

We ended up talking the rest of the time things were going on. He barely missed getting an age group award. Shucks!  I was far from any award, yet still basking in my "fast" time.  Being a little fruit fly that I am, and surrounding myself with all of my adorable gays, I was very shocked when this stranger asked me if I'd like to go get coffee or something.  Stupid me, a non-coffee drinker, and shocked that a straight guy wanted to continue talking to me, I fumbled over my words and passed.  Stupid, stupid, stupid. Did I mention he is hot and has an accent? I had plans of hitting the expo to see what it was all about, to change my clothes, and to head up to meet a friend for some shopping and a visit to the Enchanted Forest.  The whole day my friend and I joked about how that was probably my future husband and I totally blew it!

Well, I'm good at Google. I can find people on facebook. By the end of the night this stranger and I were new facebook friends. We would begin talking all the time, and a couple of weeks later we went out for a couple of drinks and hummus. I was scared of trying the hummus. I mean it wasn't a grilled cheese sandwich, so how could I possibly like it? Um, yeah... I always have hummus on hand in my house now. It is yummy!

So tonight, months after meeting and forming a new friendship (still not sure why he talks to me. I never get why straight guys talk to me.... they usually get scared off once they realize I am divorced and consider a sexy pair of drag queens to be close friends!), we are meeting up again tonight. He says he wants to be there to see my face as I try sushi for the first time. 

I'm so scared!!!  Can't I just have a hot bowl of steamed rice and soy sauce? Or pizza??  I'm trying to be a big girl and be excited about trying something new. I am petrified!

How about you? Sushi? Yes? No?
Hot "strangers" with accents? Yes? No?
Are straight guys ever just friends with straight girls?

11 comments:

  1. Sushi...never had it..

    Hot strangers...I'd talk to..with accents...and bestill my beating heart, I'm a sucker for accents!!

    Straight guys can be friends with straight girls...my two best friends are straight guys (although one is married, I'm a divorced gal)

    Hope you have a blast, can't wait to her how it goes! I'm sure you'll have a great time. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Good luck! What a great story! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too funny!

    Ah the good old days of dating - I hated 'em. Settled down as soon as I could - I was never able to understand women.

    Good luck. Sushi is great - it made all the Japanese leave Japan and attack Pearl Harbor! Just avoid the blow fish. Remember - even mention that to him - it will impress him!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sushi - OUI!!!
    Hot guys with accents - Yes please!
    Are straight guys ever just friends - rarely!
    Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was talking out loud to myself and said "yes straight guys and girls can be friends". J heard and he is over here putting you on blast. He says its not possible and that he hopes you get "lucky" later...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i hope you have fun!!! :D Can't wait to hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummmm. sushi... California rolls are my favorite. Hope you have fun!!Yes, straight guys and girls can just be friends... but maybe he is "future husband" material :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. There is nothing wrong with being divorced.

    2. Who wouldn't want drag queens as friends?! :)

    Have fun and your braver than me. Sushi will NEVER come near my mouth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love sushi.

    And why would you want to be just friends? You said he's hot AND you have plenty to talk about. ;-)

    Enjoy and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lesley -- wasn't hoping for it to be "just friends" - but seeing as I don't understand straight guys at all, I wasn't sure if he was wanting to go out as a platonic friend thing, or as a "Ronda is so hot I have to hang out with her" type of thing. Okay, so the latter might be stretching a bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alright Rhonda... get out your pen and notebook... if you have a straight guy who you happen to work with or is in your running club, and you talk a lot... yes, straight men and women can be friends. If you have a straight guy who is making an effort to drive to a location and take you somewhere, he's interested... period. So go for the "Rhonda is so hot that I must ask her out" perspective. With that said... just continue on your current course. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº