Monday, April 18, 2011

I've Got The Fever

I have the Boston Eugene Marathon Fever!
Eugene 5K 2010
I've been obsessively stalking 4 fellow bloggers while they all continue to impress me during today's Boston Marathon. This is the first time I've ever even cared a smidgen about a race I will never come close to being allowed to participate in. The fact that I've personally met and raced with two awesome women that are running has just made it that more exciting for me. And then a Portland runner finishing 5th for the women after giving birth only months ago? Nice job, Kara!!

But Boston Schmoston. Whatever. There is something even MORE exciting coming up.... Eugene Marathon Weekend. What? You didn't know of it? Where are you living, not in Oregon? Around here Eugene IS our version of Boston. All year long I'm asked "Are you running Eugene?" "Are you training for Eugene?" "Are you getting excited for Eugene?"  Yes. Yes. And YES!! 

Pre in his final race
After a not-so-stellar second half marathon I am ready to redeem myself with a new PR and finish on the track where my beloved Steve Prefontaine ran and won his final race literally hours before his death. If I am not emotional when I run on that track then I would be VERY surprised! I mean I had a moment just running by Pre's house in last year's Memorial 10K, and then on his high school track where it all started. I can't even imagine how I'm going to feel when I am literally "running in the footsteps of legends".

So needless to say, Eugene is a pretty important race for me. Last year I ran the 5K race, setting a PR that would hold for the majority of the year. It was an awesome experience for me. I ran with fast runners, I placed well, I scored at the expo, I got a free poster of Pre! But I left wanting more. I wanted to be a part of the "real" race, and this year I will be!

But I'm not the only one. There are some big names to watch at this year's Eugene Marathon!  Keep an eye out for Rocky Wing. As I understand it he is doing the half marathon versus the full. He finished 32nd overall last year, completing the marathon in 2:42:54. Um, awesome! AND he's my friend. Has been ever since junior high - and was even my boyfriend for a couple of months. He's a great musician, too. And if you were at the Run to Stay Warm, he won the 10K - finishing only 2 minutes after I finished the 5K!  Also I am really rooting for John. If you read the Register Guard, you may have seen him on the cover of the Living Section a couple of weeks ago. He's been training for this a lot and I plan on finishing my race fast enough so  that I can turn around and cheer for him when he qualifies for Boston! Plus, he's my friend, too!

Laurie, R*nda R*e, Kim & Small Town Runner ... who just killed it at Boston today!!
Don't forget the ladies! Oh yes, we are running, too! First off, and the one that will undoubtedly finish the slowest of our group, is R*nda R*e, aka, your lovely little Fruit Fly! My time to beat? 2:43:00. If I don't beat it you can expect a major breakdown and tears. We don't need that, right? Right.  Also looking to PR is Kim! She is totally ready for this one and is going to be awesome, I just know it! This woman is amazing you guys. I mean she went to Fiji for a week and do you think she slacked on training? Ha! Far from it! Running her first marathon is Laurie. I am always in awe of her. Things I can only fantasizing about doing she does without a problem! The Eugene Marathon course is her home turf, so I see a great finish from her! And I imagine she'll have an adorable cheering section waiting for her at the finish!

There are TONS of others running this race and I imagine you'll hear about them and see their pictures after our big bloggy dinner at Mazzi's. Mmm, I just see the name and my tummy growls. I need to study the menu and decide what I want because when I get there I will want it all!



So, yeah, anyway .... I am so excited!!! Get your cowbells ready... May 1st, I'll see you on Hayward Field in Track Town USA!

**adidas, I am still available if you'd like to sponsor me and cover me in your clothes.

13 comments:

  1. I get more and more excited every day! I do find it ironic that you are petition Adidas and talking about Nike's home turf, I mean track, all in one blog post. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha - I thought of that. Hey, I don't discriminate! Nike can sponsor me, TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome race! I wouldn't blame you for getting emotional on a course like that. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Adidas (or Nike for that matter) hasn't called you up yet! This post got me really excited and somewhat nervous too. It's going to be a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so excited for you! Good luck in Eugene!! It is definitely on my list for next year!! You guys will have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel a PR coming on for you...I've been dizzy the past few days (for the first time in a LONG time) so maybe it's a premonition that you'll have a perfect dizzy-free race!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear you, you are AMAZING, and look so damn FABULOUS! XOXOOX cant wait to SEE you at Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck to all of you running! It seems like it's going to be a super fantastic race! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be there, too! I look forward to meeting you at the bloggy carb fest on Saturday! So excited for Eugene!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Word! Hey, thanks for posting that video clip from last year's Eugene by the way. I used it in my blog today. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this post. We all have our own 'Boston' marathon to run, it doesn't have to be in Boston. May the Pre be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting to be running the same race as your main man!!! Pre is going to help you along your journey - I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº