Friday, April 1, 2011

Run #2.6 - Hot Tamale!

Ooh boy, who turned on the heat? Last night I was more than excited to go out in a new "singlet" (look at me and my fancy runner lingo!), shortest running skirt and NO leg sleeves. What?? For the first time since October 2010 I ran without any compression socks/sleeves. It was kind of strange, but I was hot! It was 69º when I grabbed my water and set out for 5 miles of fun in the sun. I didn't expect that it would have such an effect on me. I was dying! But I loved it!

This time I mixed up my route a bit and did it in reverse. I did not run backwards, however. My mom and I were noticing how if you just go in the opposite direction things look different ~ so I applied that to running! I did struggle with hydration. Perhaps fighting a cold didn't help either. It just seemed like no matter what I was constantly parched. My water got warm, so then it was just gross. I did find a cold water fountain to switch it out when I had about a mile left to run. And I dumped some of it on my arms a few times during the run just to cool off. About 2 miles in I found a shady spot under some trees by the soccer fields. I paused (I swear it wasn't creepy) to drink some water and watch all the kids at soccer practice. I just wanted to stop and see how they were running. They were laughing! Smiling! Keisha (I do not know her, just heard the name) was being chased by a little boy and frolicking around the field! I did have a chuckle at some girls that just threw themselves on the ground from pure exhaustion. The older children were taking it more seriously, but the young ones were who I focused on. They didn't care about form, pace, time, distance. They were just running around in the sunshine. I guess I wanted to remember what it was like to be that way and maybe have it rub off on me. I've been in a mental running funk since the 15K when the Meniere's attack really messed with me. Since that race every run has had some dizziness to it, and it is just getting exhausting. My hope is that maybe I can remember the joy those kids felt just being free ... and then channel that into my running.

The run was nice. The weather was gorgeous. I mean you can't really complain about it when we've all been whining about the cold weather! In the end I did the 5 miles in just under 55 minutes. My legs, when I could get my head in the game, were feeling great! I just battled the heat (it was winning). I can live with that. I know I'm not a warm weather runner, but this year a goal of mine is to conquer that and improve!

On a different note, the robot at work has been walking around the last two days with her pant leg stuck in her sock. The robot has no idea it is stuck, which I don't get. How do you not feel that? Oh, wait, "robot" is the key word here. I told Biker Boy about my amusement over said pants ... and he sent me this:

He is now walking around work like this - and last I heard nobody has even commented on it yet!


**9 days until the Inaugural Corvallis Half Marathon!** ..... *9 days to kill the cold/scratchy throat*

5 comments:

  1. I tuck my socks into my pants when I ride my bike.

    Wait, pants. Into socks. Yeah.

    But, then again, I haven't ridden a bike in like a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure the robot can ride a bike.

    No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the great run!
    I remember when I was a kid and had all the energy in the world and could run and run and run.... that would be so helpful right about now.

    I'm nervous about running in the warm weather- I'm more of a spring/fall person, so summer is slightly intimidating to me. We shall see how it goes. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh - hope your cold gets better. I love watching kids play - they don't care, they are just out having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 69 degrees is hot!!!

    Don't come to Texas in the summer for a race!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº