Friday, April 8, 2011

Run #2.8 - I Found My Mojo!

Run #2.8 ... that tells me this is half marathon number 2, and my 8th training run. And that is also the final run before the half. Is it just me or does it seem crazy that I only had 8 designated runs to prep for a half marathon? Given that the 3rd half marathon is only 3 weeks away, I can only imagine how small that number will be, too!

Okay, so let's get to it!
My run was AWESOME! Oh how badly I needed a good run right before this race. My confidence was really lacking and now I'm back where I was before the Princess Half! I realized that it was the Shamrock 15K that did me in. Not the run itself, but the major Meniere's attack I had during the run. That just threw me off, and was also the start of a month of mini-attacks. So while my legs were ready, my ears and balance were not ready to let me be the spitting image of one Mr. Steve Prefontaine. (Okay, I had to work him in because he's been kind of dormant on my blog lately.) 

So anyway, I had to go out last night and just prove to myself that I can still run. I had to reassure myself that my legs still know the motions and I am more than capable of going faster than 11 minute miles. Also I realize I was bored out of my mind with my park loop. I have been doing that same loop now for 2 solid months and I needed change. I set out for 3 miles on one of the major streets in town. I always feel more pressure on a busy road. I don't want to look like a failure in front of passersby. This was a great plan and I'm going to stick to it every now and then and find new routes that aren't just in the park.

Corvallis, Oregon - the sight of my first race
and where I'll be running 13.1 this Sunday!
My three miles were fabulous. I was even sub 10 minute miles for quite a while. I had no pain. I had no dizziness. I had no boys being mean to me. I had a blast! For the final run of this training round I did 3 miles in 30 minutes and 40 seconds or so. I certainly have nothing to complain about with that. Coming out of a funk to pretty much do my 5K race pace is pretty awesome in my book. Go me! :-)

I have to give a major thank you to all of you for your supportive comments and suggestions. They really have helped a lot. I hated being in a funk, but I think you all (and the latest issue of Runners World magazine actually!) helped lift me out of it. My body has been fine, it was my mind messing with me and not helping at all. So thank you so much for all of your kind, positive words!!

And with that, let's wrap up this round of training. Next week I will be back with the race report and all focus will turn to the Eugene Half Marathon!

13 comments:

  1. You rocked it. I can't wait to read your race report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your mojo is back! How exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you that you turned the corner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to rock it out on Sunday! You are so BAD ASS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a stellar run. Good luck this weekend, you'll be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that I could be there to cheer you on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you got your mojo back. and somehow i totally missed the post about mean boys. what a couple of turds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are going to be great in Corvallis. So excited to run #3 with you, in 3 weeks, really! OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your run went so well. Good luck in Corvallis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't know how I've missed finding your blog until now. Fellow NW runner (vancouver area) Look forward to following your blog. Good luck tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see you're back on your feet, so to speak ;)

    Best of luck to you! Hope the race went well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yippee! The Mojo is back!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº