Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Little Running Rant

*I'll just preface this by saying that I am having a BAD Meniere's day - and I know one of you totally understands this and I linked it just in case you were curious about this annoying "disease" I always whine about. Disease just doesn't seem like the right word, but I didn't name it. I pretty much can't sit up - not sure how I even managed to walk and drive this morning. So anyway, I'm probably going to be very absent from reading and commenting on blogs today. I have a plan to bring my laptop to Biker Boy's house this weekend - given I'll be able to drive tomorrow night - and then I'll catch up!*


I'm sure they have good intentions, but oh my gosh, I want them to stop! Do you get this, too? When the non-runners suggest every freaking race to you? Like some crappy community 5K that cost $30+ and gives you some cotton t-shirt you'll never wear, and the course is the same one you run for free every weekend? No thanks. I am a fully admitted race snob. I will NOT race local. I will NOT race for a cotton t-shirt (aside from the Disney 5Ks that give me a medal). ... if I lived in a race city, of course I'd race local. Those of you Oregonians that know where I live probably understand my desire to not race in my hometown. I love my town, but we are not a running community.

Or they hear some blurb on the radio and have to run to you to tell you that they heard about a race you should do. And then I always have to politely explain that there is absolutely no way I'm going to do the race they are suggesting to me.

I love it when people "tell" me about the Eugene Marathon, as if they just discovered it and want to tell me because I obviously don't know (forget that I was at it last year, too). FYI non-runner, but I have been registered for the Eugene Half Marathon since September 2010.

And then I get people trying to suggest shoes to me. No. No no no. Just because you saw a picture of a new type of Nike shoe in a People magazine does not mean that it will be a good running shoe for me, so please stop with your suggestions. 

And I don't care about a sale on clothes at a crappy discount store. I KNOW I will buy my skirts from Skirt Sports and Runningskirts.com. I've tried other types - and other types suck. That cute shirt you saw that you think I need for a race? It is a cotton t-shirt. This runner does not run in cotton t-shirts. 

I'll stop my rant after this one last one. This one is a biggie for me right now.... "Why did you sign up for another half? You did that already. Do a marathon. It's not so hard."  ... says the non-runner. Instead of congratulating me on a very hard accomplishment for me, I get told what I did wasn't hard at all and I should just go for a full marathon. When did a marathon get "easy"? Did I miss that memo? And when did running two half marathons suddenly become just a simple task and one I shouldn't bother trying to improve on?  This always turns to my pace then. "It took you HOW LONG? No, you should be running at 8 minute miles, that's what runners do."  Gee, thanks for the encouragement. 

I guess while I'm obviously kinda bitchy about outside feedback when it isn't requested (i.e. about clothing and races), I feel justified in my bitchiness about my skills just not being good enough.

I don't care. I've ranted. I feel better.

I'll just say this. I AM a runner. I might not be the fastest, but I am out there doing it. Sure I've had to walk sometimes during races, I'm still a runner. We are out there. We are trying. We sign up for races. We get up when it is still dark and run miles in races before people even get up to fix their morning coffee. We are fast. We are slow. We are skinny. We are chubby. We have the best shoes they sell. We have the best shoes we can afford for our budgets. We run in skirts. We run in shorts. We run with iPods. We run without music. We have Garmins (love mine!). We run "naked" as Amanda would say. We shuffle. We sprint. We jog. We run. We walk. We do it. No matter the distance, no matter the pace... We ARE runners

Isn't this what "real" runners do when they are melting during a summer race?


***Attention fellow runners, I am very open to your suggestions about races. You all understand me. I know this, even if I am being a mega-bitch today. You know my need for bling, a cool course, etc... So if you ever want to suggest one to me, I am all ear because I trust you won't steer me in the direction of a boring fun run that costs $50!***

Okay. I'm done. Forgive the rant. I just HAD to get it out.

19 comments:

  1. I feel you, man.

    Runners come in all speeds. ALL SPEEDS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it sista! I agree with you, my husband keeps telling me to run a full. I don't want to, for so many reasons. And, maybe I never will. That's okay too, the half is where it's at!

    And, cotton race shirts. Yucky, yuck. I was going to run Pacific Crest, then S decided to not sign up for his event, then I remembered they only have cotton shirts, so I took it off my schedule.

    Hope you feel better soon, get it out of your system this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always room for a good rant. Glad you feel better. :)

    You are most definitely a runner and any race, no matter what the distance, can always be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...I just heard about this rad race on the radio...it is actually happening in my neighborhood. It is a 5K and it is to support the local elementary school. The cool thing is that each kid in the school is getting assigned a runner and they get to hand draw the design on the 100% cotton tee and also will make the medal by hand too...I think that the medal is just paper and rope, but it is still hand made and that is awesome. They also mentioned that all runners would get a discount at Ross...so that you could get some new running clothes if you need them. They also said something about everybody needing to run at least a 7 minute mile...they don't have a huge budget so they are only able to close down the street for a short time. Oh...and I also think that they request that you bring your own TP...as there will not be any porta-potties...you just have to use the woods. I think that you could do this right??

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, Biker Boy, I would TOTALLY do that race, even though running the 7 minute miles would likely kill me.

    Fly---I posted on Facebook that I was looking for suggestions for races in July and November so that I can run one a month since March. A runner I know who will be in Eugene next weekend to run the Pikermi (see no one will say ONLY half to that name) suggested I look up RaceCenter.com! As though I have NEVER heard of the site. Wha?!?!?! I found a bunch of cool races last year on that site....sheesh. OK, my rant is over too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you get me, NattyBumpo! I mean do the people around me every day not realize that I religious study the different sites just looking for THE perfect race? I like at least one per month, so I am checking those puppies ALL. THE. TIME. I'm so selective, there's no way a family fun run is going to cut it in my schedule! There are too many good races to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do run the three races in my town, but two are charity runs and the other is a "larger" race. I wanted to walk over to the guys house and rap him on the head. I was looking and hoping to get a suggestion of a race that someone I might know was running or had run and had fun at. LIKE if you were to ask me about the Vernonia-Bank Marathon/Half-marathon wanting to know if it was something you might be interested in, I would say I would run it again. Right, like you and a couple of others that are trying to get me to come to Eugene to run a race there, someday I will, just because. But I'm more likely to run in Coos Bay. They do some little tribute race there in September that might be fun once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Some kind of a tribute race"???

    SOME KIND?? Um, hello?? It is only the BEST tribute ever. I mean if you aren't going to do a tribute to my main man Steve Prefontaine then who will you do a tribute run for??

    So, I vote for Coos Bay! I will be back this year hoping to shave off a couple minutes from last year's time.


    I love suggestions from other runners. At least they know what they are talking about and have experienced things. But seriously if one more non-runner comes up to me this week to tell me about a romp through a cow pasture I'm going to scream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha!the other day my grandma asked if I won my half. I said, no not even close. she said "oh, well maybe next time.we still love you."


    ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never finished a full marathon, and yet for some reason I feel compelled to because if I do, then maybe I'll be considered a "real" runner. I just need to tell myself that thinking like that is total bullshit. Half-marathons are plenty tough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my friends that are clueless about running? Why?

    Because after one of them saw me cross the finish line of a 5k just after 34 minutes, he told me I was FAST!

    I didn't bother to tell him that the winner was probably about 15 minutes ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHA, for the one's who tell you that you should run 8 minute miles, just ask them to pace you for your next event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure they do mean well, but it must be annoying nonetheless. Thanks for linking to Meniere's because so many people don't know about it. It's nice finally "meeting" someone who understands. BTW, there's this Girls on the Run 5K here next month........

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wanna join me in vegas in December? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahahaha!!! you shoulda said "i run half marathons cuz they're over much quicker than the 1000 mile race i just ran with a 3 min/mile pace" ;) or something like that... it sounded funny in my head just a second ago... it is after 2 am though so maybe i just need to go to bed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should check out the Timberline Half
    http://www.roguemultisport.com/featureevents/timberlinemarathon.html

    I've run it twice, am signed up again for this year. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, Jules ... this looks AWESOME!!!!

    I am free that weekend, too! I was eye balling a 5K, but wow, this could be THE next big race ...after Eugene and Hippie Chick, of course. Wow. Thanks!!


    ATTENTION NON-RUNNERS, learn from Julie, THIS is the stuff I like!! See that bling? I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ronda - hope you sign up for it! It really is a very impressive run. 85% trail...very little road. Perfect. And a bit more than a half - 14.1 miles, all told.

    I'm always among the "rear guard" but I don't care. The trail is my best friend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bwahahahaha - I love this post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº